In 2012, the German Literature Archive in Marbach and the Franz Rosenzweig Minerva Research Center of the Hebrew University opened a new Coordination Center for the Research of German-Jewish Estates in Israel. Sponsored by the Federal Foreign Office, it ensures that historical archive documents in Israel are conserved, made accessible, and used for scientific research.
The German Literature Archive supports young scholars in researching and making available document collections held by the Central Zionist Archives, the Leo Baeck Institute in Jerusalem, and the National Library of Israel (NLI). At present, their activities include the indexing of archival documents and items regarding German-Israeli scholarly history, which have received little to no attention until today. These holdings give new insight into the extent of the influence German scholarly traditions have had (and continue to have) on research and teaching in Israel, as well as the significant social role played by exiled German-Jewish scholars in former Mandatory Palestine and later in Israel.
Since 2016, this existing co-operation has been broadened through the launch of a project geared towards the Research and Exploration of the Historical Archive of the Hebrew University 1918-1948, which is supported by the Gerda Henkel Foundation. The results will be presented at the 2018 centennial celebrations of the Hebrew University.
The projects were initiated by Yfaat Weiss (Rosenzweig Minerva Research Center), Marcel Lepper (German Literature Archive Marbach), and Jürgen Fohrmann (University of Bonn).